Ag Health and Safety Alliance came to Minnesota on December 2, 2019, to host their “Gear Up for Ag Health & Safety” program with students at South
Stress, depression, and suicide are on the mind of agricultural communities, where economic, social, and environmental forces challenge the health and safety of farmers, agricultural workers and their families.
In response to a growing concern about the lack of resources and support for farmers, farm workers and families who are facing difficult economic conditions in the region and the higher rates of suicide in rural and agricultural communities, UMASH has been working to build partnerships to stimulate innovation and action.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273-8255
- Resource Guide for Farm Crisis Support (Farm Aid)
- Production Agriculture and Stress (eXtension)
- Mental Health Resources for Farmers and Ranchers (Successful Farming)
- Mental Health in Rural Communities Toolkit (Rural Health Information Hub)
- Veterans Crisis Line
- Make it OK
- Farm Crisis Center
- 10 Helpful Resources for Farmers (Center for Rural Affairs)
- Minnesota Farm & Rural Helpline: (833)-600-2670 x 1
- Coping with Farm and Rural Stress (MN Dept of Agriculture)
- Resources for MN Dairy Farmers (MN Dept of Agriculture)
- Minnesota Farmer-Lender Mediation (MN Dept of Agriculture)
- More Resources for MN Dairy Farmers (MN Dept of Agriculture)
- Stress and Crisis: Get Help Now (MN Dept of Agriculture)
- Farmer Support in MN Slide Deck – ppt file (MN Dept of Agriculture)
- Minnesota NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- Farm and Ranch Stress (North Dakota State University Extension)
- Rural Stress and Mental Health PSA #1 (North Dakota Bankers Association)
- Rural Stress and Mental Health PSA #2 (North Dakota Bankers Association)
- North Dakota NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- Jamestown Regional Medical Center collaborated with The Village Business Institute to offer web-based counseling at no cost to the agricultural community. The program is called Agricultural Workforce Assistance (AWA) and includes up to three free sessions of counseling support. To access the services, call 1 (800) 627-8220 and ask for web-based counseling with The Village AWA. More information is available at www.TheVillageFamily.org.
- Prevent Suicide Wisconsin
- Suicide Prevention Coalition of Iowa County (also serves Crawford, Grant, Lafayette, Richland, Sauk and Vernon counties)
- County Crisis Lines (Prevent Suicide Wisconsin)
- Harvest of Hope Fund (Madison Christian Community)
- Wisconsin Farm Center (WI Dept of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection)
- Wisconsin NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
UMASH Partner Projects
To build upon the ideas generated in the Building Resilient Agricultural Communities forum, UMASH invited partnership proposals that would address forum themes and build partnerships in the region to respond to the needs. Sixteen proposals were received and three were selected to partner with UMASH.
UMASH and the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) hosted a one-day working forum, “Building Resilient Agricultural Communities” at the University of Minnesota on June 20, 2018.
This event brought together stakeholders from across Minnesota to explore the stress and mental health challenges that farmers, agricultural workers, and their families experience and stimulate new and existing partnerships to identify gaps in community-based programs and health services.
Gear Up for Ag Health & Safety
Minnesota Farmers Union Turns 78
The Minnesota Farmers Union State Convention was held the weekend of November 22 – 24, 2019 in Minneapolis. Megan Schossow and Carol Peterson exhibited
SPOTLIGHT: A Commitment to Farmers
UMASH is invested in helping farmers through these challenging times. We join many others in this effort to offer resources to assist farmers, families,
Trade Talk Success at the National Association of Farm Broadcaster’s Annual Convention
Scott Heiberger and Melissa Ploeckelman are no strangers to the agricultural media. In November, they headed to Kansas City to take part in the National
Leading Ladies: Women in Sustainable Ag
The national Women in Sustainable Ag (WISA) conference, hosted by Midwest Organic and Sustainability Education Service (MOSES), was held in Saint Paul,
SPOTLIGHT: safeTALK – Training to Prevent Suicide in Agricultural Communities
A friend in need is a friend indeed. Old Proverb A friend is there to help when times are tough. Unfortunately, times are tough right now in agriculture.
The ‘R’ Word
Carol Peterson and Meg Moynihan (MDA) attended the Ag Resiliency Series session in Mankato, MN on February 15. The series featured Dr. Amit Sood, MD, creator
SPOTLIGHT: Stress & Mental Health
When extreme stress manifests as a breaking point, like suicide, agricultural communities face unimaginable tragedy and loss. Stress, depression,
SPOTLIGHT: Thoughts & Weeds
Monica Kramer McConkey offers a unique perspective on controlling negative thoughts just as we need to control weeds in the field.
Farm Safety Check: Stress and Wellness
In farming, there’s a lot out of your control, creating stress that can potentially lead to serious impacts on your well-being. Check in on yourself,
Down on the Farm Workshops
The first day of Down on the Farm workshops was held January 30, 2018, at Ridgewater College in Willmar, MN. Stress factors have been on the rise on farms,
Managing Stresses in Farming in North Dakota
UMASH Outreach Coordinator Diane Kampa attended the Managing Stresses in Farming, Families, and Finances Workshop on Monday, January 29, 2018 at Bismarck
If you have questions, comments or you would like to connect with UMASH regarding this topic, please contact:
Diane Kampa email@example.com