THE UMASH VISION:
Healthy and Safe People in Sustainable Agriculture
The mission of the Upper Midwest Agricultural Health and Safety Center (UMASH) is to improve the health and safety of agricultural workers, their families, and farm visitors in the Upper Midwest region.
We pursue this mission utilizing a multidisciplinary approach guided by One Health principles.
PARTNERS IN EXCELLENCE
This collaboration brings together unique and complimentary expertise to address existing and emerging occupational health and safety issues in agriculture.
WHAT WE DO
- Address new or emerging issues such as aging, mental health, occupational health, infectious disease, and climate change effects
- Focus on the Upper Midwest Region of North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin
- Provide funding for emerging issues research and outreach via UMASH Partner Projects
OUTREACH & ENGAGEMENT
- Utilize the expertise of our advisory board and other experts
- Highlight the work of partners and joint efforts
- Provide farmer friendly resources
- Share research with sound practical applications
- Engage in a yearly forum to address current and emerging issues
- Connect through social media and newsletters
- We believe all people, organizations, and diverse perspectives are important to our work.
- We embrace and promote a One Health philosophy that emphasizes the connections between human health, animal, and plant health and the health of the environment.
- We seek to understand how changes in agriculture, to meet an increasing global demand for food and fiber at affordable prices and produced in a sustainable manner, can impact agricultural workers and their families.
- We believe agricultural worker injury and illness, and animal health are most effectively addressed when multidisciplinary stakeholders are involved thus we seek to engage academia, producers, workers, agribusiness, governmental agencies and the agricultural community at large to promote dialogue and discussion through outreach and engagement activities.
Health and Safety on the Farm
We’re UMASH – the Upper Midwest Agricultural Safety and Health Center
Learn more about our center and mission.
One Health Explained
Because the environment, animals and people all affect each other, the One Health approach is an ideal model for addressing health and safety in agriculture workers.
KEY UMASH MATERIALS
UMASH is one of eleven Centers of Excellence in Agricultural Disease and Injury Research, Education, and Prevention funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) throughout the United States. Funding is provided through a cooperative agreement from NIOSH, U54OH010170 (2009-2021).