Farmers and farm families are at very high risk for fatal and nonfatal injuries. UMASH is providing live safety demonstrations at Farmfest 2022. This is an excellent, first-hand opportunity to see potential dangers on the farm and learn ways to prevent injury. During Minnesota Farmfest 2022, stop by the UMASH Wellness Pavillion, visit the exhibitors, and take in the live farm safety demonstrations.
We want you to be safe, healthy and injury free.
Tuesday: 9am, 11am, 2pm
Wednesday: 9am, 11am, 2pm
Thursday: 9am, 10:45am, 2pm
Safety demonstrations will be presented by expert demonstrators, covering a variety of farm safety topics. Scroll to read more below!
Kentucky Department of Agriculture
- 80% of all accidents on a farm involve a tractor
- Rollover accidents are the leading cause of tractor-related deaths
- Rollover accidents occur faster than our human capacity for reaction.
- Understand tractor stability.
- Understand that tractors are top heavy and can easily be tipped.
- Review the importance of a roll bar and seat belt on tractors without cabs.
Brian Kuhl, President and Chief Executive Officer, and Jana Davidson, Education Content Specialist, Progressive Agriculture Foundation
Learn about ATV and UTV safety for both adults and youth. Experts will use a Tilt Table and Full-Size ATV Tilting Trailer to demonstrate:
- Choosing the correct PPE and proper body attire
- Determining the size appropriate ATV-UTV
- Understanding the concept of center of gravity and correct body positioning
- Burn points that can injure the lower leg
- Use of a safety flag
- Single riders
brought to you by 40 Square Cooperative Solutions
Director of the National Education Center for Agricultural Safety (NECAS), MBA, Paramedic
- Manure Pit Safety program is intended for workers and managers in agriculture., including pumping companies, farm operators, and agriculture business owners.
- Identify hazards associated with confined space work.
- Understand the process for confined space entry and lock out procedures.
- Know where to look for OSHA references and resources related to confined space entry in the confinement industry.
Fire Instructor, South Central College Ag Instructor
Chief, North Mankato Fire Department
- Demo will highlight examples of available best practices for grain bin and machine safety. Using examples and explanations of lockout tagout for entry, and what harnessing and anchor systems can do to make environments safer.
- Learn what discussions should take place on the farm before the event of an emergency to assure first responders have needed information and processes in place.
- These topics will be presented along with examples and demonstrations of agricultural safety awareness.
- Experts will also share insight on respiratory protection and air monitoring and how it can be applied on the farm