VIEW ALL SUCCESS STORIES
Agriculture is an occupation and a way of life for farmers and their family members who live and work on the farm. It is also an industry with high rates of injury and illness. Outreach to farmers, workers, and farm families is an important tool for education and injury/illness prevention. However, it can be challenging and costly given wide geographic distribution, technology and broadband limitations in rural areas, and potential lack of awareness about strategies and available resources for improving health and safety.
UMASH collaborated with Farm Bureau Financial Services to co-sponsor a new Wellness and Safety Pavilion at Minnesota Farmfest, an annual agribusiness trade show. The event was held in Redwood County Aug 6-8, 2019. The pavillion included free health screenings, live safety demos, and over 25 health and safety exhibitors. Ag health and safety exhibitors gained access to hard-to-reach rural and agricultural populations who benefited from the health screenings, hazard awareness and prevention information, and a wide range of health and safety resources.
- 900 attendees watched agricultural safety/rescue demos
- 189 attendees received basic health screenings
- 50 attendees were screened for skin cancer
- 200 attendees visited the Rali Code 3 drug education trailer
- 30 attendees saw “Jolene” hearing demos
- 60+ people enrolled into research projects
- 4,500+ educational resources and fliers were distributed
- 14,775+ giveaway items were distributed
- 6,900+ conversations with attendees