The Upper Midwest is home to swine production. From farrow to finish, producers need to be aware of the risks associated with hog farming and take precautions to avoid illness and injury. UMASH has developed two videos and teaching guides for producers to focus on safety in their operation.
These guides are intended for training by farmers, ranchers, farm employees, veterinarians, human resources training staff and those involved with worker health and safety training/education.
The videos and accompanying guides address sow handling and swine influenza. Both are available in English and Spanish. The materials can be used in small groups or individually. There is a short quiz at the end of each video to check your understanding. After completing the two videos and related quizzes, a certificate of completion is available for printing.
Swine Flu PreventionPRINTABLE GUIDE
- Discuss how the flu is transmitted to a pig
- List recommendations for flu prevention
- Summarize practices when a pig gets the flu
- In what ways can a pig contract the flu?
- How can you prevent the flu from occurring in the pigs in which you come in contact?
- What do the symptoms look like in a pig that may have the flu?
- What should you do if you observe a pig who is showing symptoms of the flu?
For additional practice, use the following:SWINE INFLUENZA ANSWER KEY
Sow HandlingPRINTABLE GUIDE
- Discuss ways to learn a sow’s behavior.
- Identify best practices for handling and moving sows.
- Describe the flight zone and blind spot of a sow.
- Explain preparation methods when moving sows.
- What are some key behaviors to look for in a sow when she is relaxed? When she is stressed?
- As a sow handler, what are the best techniques to use when you want her to move?
- What are the steps used when preparing sows to move from the gestation barn to the farrowing room?
- What are some best practices used when moving sows and gilts to cause the least amount of stress for the animals and workers?
For additional practice, use the following:SOW HANDLING ANSWER KEY
UMASH offers additional resources on Positive Animal Handling including barn posters and fact sheets in English and Spanish.