UMASH is one of eleven Centers of Excellence in Agricultural Disease and Injury Research, Education, and Prevention funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) throughout the United States.
In 1990, Congress established a National Program for Occupational Safety and Health in Agriculture within NIOSH to lead a national effort in surveillance, research, and intervention. The NIOSH Centers for Agricultural Disease and Injury Research, Education, and Prevention were established to conduct research, education, and prevention projects to address the nation’s pressing agricultural health and safety problems. This program has had a “significant and measurable impact” on reducing adverse health effects among agricultural workers.
US AG CENTERS
As part of this program, eleven Agricultural Research Centers were established nationally.
These Ag Centers conduct research, education, and prevention projects to address the nation’s pressing agricultural safety and health problems. Geographically, the Ag Centers are distributed throughout the nation to be responsive to the agricultural safety and health issues unique to the different regions.
- Central States Center for Agricultural Safety and Health (CS-CASH)
- Great Plains Center for Agricultural Health (GPCAH)
- High Plains Intermountain Center for Agricultural Health and Safety (HICAHS)
- National Children’s Center for Rural and Agricultural Health and Safety (NCCRAHS)
- New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health (NYCAMH)
- Pacific Northwest Agricultural Safety and Health Center (PNASH)
- Southeast Center for Agricultural Health and Injury Prevention (SCAHIP)
- Southwest Center for Agricultural Health, Injury Prevention & Education (SWAG)
- Upper Midwest Agricultural Safety and Health Center (UMASH)
- Western Center for Agricultural Health and Safety (WCAHS)
- Southeastern Coastal Center for Agricultural Health and Safety (SCCAHS)
US AG CENTERS YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
The best agricultural safety and health videos ‐ now just one click away! www.youtube.com/USagCenters.
The channel includes over 125 videos. Topics include:
Respiratory protection, livestock safety, tractor and machinery, child development, emergency response, grain safety, pesticide safety, heat illness prevention, ladder safety, hearing protection, and more.
US AG CENTERS MAP:
This map shows the 11 NIOSH Agricultural Safety and Health Centers around the United States.