12:00 Central / 1:00 Eastern
Speaker: Kerry Brennan
Description: José Navarro was excited for his new career after landing a job in the poultry industry. After five years on the job, 37 year-old Navarro began coughing up blood. He died soon after when his lungs and kidneys failed. His death triggered a federal investigation raising questions about the health risks associated with the use of toxic chemicals in poultry plants.
Millions of workers are exposed to chemicals everyday on the job. All workers have the right to know about the chemicals they work with and community health workers can be an important source of information and support for workers. This workshop will teach community health workers how to explain what happens when someone is exposed to chemicals and how workers can best protect themselves
- Recognize how workers become exposed to chemicals and illnesses
- Describe basic safety practices when working around chemicals
- Understand the role of community health workers in identifying and preventing work related illnesses and hazards